What Social Network Fits You Best?

Saturday, February 20, 2010

Who REALLY uses LinkedIn?

LinkedIn is currently touting that they have over 60 million members, but I truly wonder how many of these users are active.

I consider myself the typical user.  I signed up for the account a few years back at the suggestion of some colleagues, built a simple profile and added a few connections... then did virtually nothing.  Every few months I become re-inspired to update my profile, respond to some invites and send some more to new connections.  As far as I can tell all this has done is give me a professional web presence that I really do not use for anything meaningful!

Realizing a significant amount of my time has gone into building my profile and connections over the years it is now time to take action and see what LinkedIn can do for me.  I would like to hear real world, personal responses for how LI has helped or will help you in your career.  Hopefully your responses will send me down the path to enlightenment.

For those not aware of what LinkedIn is, here is a 2 minute video introduction:

5 comments:

  1. I've been pretty good about using LinkedIn. I have a full profile, etc. I've been able to find contacts at companies that I'm interested in. I just keep forgetting to job hunt on it though. It's got a pretty decent job search function.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great poll! It was refreshing to see something new on a blog post.

    I agree that finding contacts is the best part of LinkedIn. I don't have a very robust profile.

    I don't plan to contact people through LinkedIn, but do plan to use it to find email addresses and potential employers that I will contact through email or phone.

    I think of it purely as a database.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it can be used as a targeted reputation builder. Using the "answer" section to help folks in professional areas you want to explore is a good way to start conversations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The most useful thing I have used LinkedIn for is searching the name of a person I am about to have an interview with. If their profile is public, it is really easy to find information about them that can help a lot during an interview. If their profile is not public, it can be more difficult. If you are lucky, you might be connected to them in some way, then you can use that info during your interview.

    ReplyDelete
  5. KK, I have a few ideas. To expand on Carissa's point, I wrote about using it for interview stalking on her page:

    http://carissaroxie.blogspot.com/2010/02/linkedin-really.html

    As far as a personal story, I got a marketing internship last summer through LinkedIn. I posted on there I was looking, and someone from my past with a good connection noticed, hooked me up with a recommendation and contact info, and eventually I had the position.

    I like to think of it as facebook but for professional use. People in the industry I work I'd like them to know what I'm working on, what I'm doing. But not necessarily what I'm doing personally (facebook). So keeping in contact, but just from the office setting.

    ReplyDelete